Saturday, August 1, 2009

Poster Child

A few weeks ago, my doctor ordered weekly non-stress tests until delivery.  I tend to lean toward the cautious side (and prefer when doctors do too), so I was relieved that they would be monitoring Henry so closely.  Yesterday was our first one, and when I arrived the nurse explained that the test doesn't actually have anything to do with stress and suggested that it should be called the "baby wellness test" instead (but I have to say that it was so relaxing for ME -- I almost fell asleep in the recliner -- that I think the name suits it just fine from a mommy standpoint). Basically, the nst monitors the baby's heart rate for a half hour. They look for two "accelerations" in 20 minutes.  If he's sleeping, we jiggle him a little and see if he reacts and whether his heart rate accelerates for 15 seconds or more.   Henry passed with flying colors!  In fact, the nurse even called him a "poster child" for how the results should look.  What a good boy.

5 comments:

  1. Hey girl, my doc just ordered the non stress test for my babe until delivery. My amniotic fluid was borderline (just under normal) so they want to make sure the baby's okay. It was relaxing though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is totally relaxing! You're getting close, huh? I bet you can't wait to find out what you're having! Heck, *I* can't wait to find out what you're having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great news! And I'm glad you got to relax! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good little guy! Do you think they would give me a non-stress test even though I am not pregnant? I could use a half-hour to sit still! :) Not as much as you need the break, but still...
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm telling you, next time I'm bringing my iPod and closing my eyes the entire time! :)

    ReplyDelete